Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Powder and the Glory



I've just finished watching the terrific documentary film The Powder and the Glory, about cosmetics industry pioneers Elizabeth Arden and Helena Rubinstein.

What strong, visionary women they were! They essentially created the industry and an entirely new "beauty culture" in the United States. I admire that kind of chutzpah. They created their paths and commited to them completely, and ultimately become iconic.

Funny thing is -- these two never met. Rivals to the end!

There were a lot of gorgeous old print advertisements in the film, and a look at some vintage television ads from the 50's and 60's. All of that fascinating stuff I could look at for hours.

All in all -- a fun way to spend an idle hour, and now I need to add the book the film was based upon to my already too-long reading list.


So many words, so little time.

No comments:

Post a Comment